Around here, veggie burgers are always a good idea for dinner. We have a few different burgers we make but these Sweet Potato Cannelini Bean Veggie Burgers are definitely a favourite of mine. They are super quick and easy to make, healthy, and always enjoyed by all. The children LOVE them. And I love the good stuff they are getting in these burgers.
The kids usually have theirs with a little ketchup and bbq sauce (they love bbq sauce – probably because it’s basically just spicy sugar sauce, right?) on the bottom half of a bun with a lettuce leaf on top instead of the top half, so they’re not just filling up on bread for dinner. I sometimes have mine in lettuce instead of on a bun. The patties freeze really well too, which makes them an even easier weeknight dinner, or a great quick lunch. Click past the break for the recipe!
Sweet Potato Cannelini Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 can cannelini beans
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon peppar
- 1/4-1/2 cup flour (wheat is fine, but you could use any kind you like)
- oil for pan (safflower, coconut, whatever you like)
- Panko crumbs
- Toppings: avocado, dijon mustard, whole wheat buns, crispy lettuce, red onion, bbq sauce
- Rinse the sweet potato, poke some holes in it with the tip of a sharp knife, and bake it at 200c until it’s baked through. Scoop out the flesh and mash it up in a bowl together with the rinsed beans. Use a fork and try to get all the beans mashed up (even if it’s no biggy if there are some pieces left).
- Add tahini, maple syrup, and lemon peppar and mash/mix everything together. Add flour until the mixture is firm enough to form a patty. If you have time, you can chill the mixture in the fridge for a couple of hours and that will also firm it up a lot so you don’t need so much flour.
- Heat a few Tbsp of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. You will need quite a bit of oil.
- Wet your hands with cold water, form patties, and coat them generously in panko crumbs. Drop the patties in the pan and use the spatula to shape them a little. Cook until they have nice colour on both sides and then transfer to paper towels.
- Serve on whole grain buns with french mustard and toppings.