Looking for the perfect homemade hostess gift for the holidays? How about roasting some (quick and easy), healthy, fragrant and delicious muesli?
Since I try to go organic and avoid too much added sugar, I roast my own muesli. Sumit and I have it for breakfast every day, and the kids like to help me make it. I try to pack my muesli as full of good-for-you nuts and seeds as I can and then I vary the recipe a little so that it’s not always the same. We love it!
For this autumn muesli I used lots of pumpkin seeds, almonds and dried cranberries. For sweetness I used a little maple syrup and some honey, and then I added pumpkin spice to make it feel really autumny.
This muesli is perfect on a brunch table or in a jar layered with greek yoghurt and fresh fruit for a healthy energizing afternoon snack (or lunch). For a personal hostess gift this Thanksgiving, put some musli in a mason jar and tie a pretty gift tag around it.
Click past the break for the recipe!
Pumpkin Spice Muesli
(You can switch out any of the nuts or seeds for others that you prefer, and don’t stress too much about the measurements)
- 2-3 cups oats
- 1 cup buckwheat flakes (or just use oats)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 100 ml grated coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup maple syrup and/or honey (taste the muesli before you roast it to see if it is sweet enough)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup neutral vegetable oil like canola or sunflower (not olive oil!)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Chop the nuts and then mix them with the grains, seeds and spice mix.
- Mix the water and oil with the honey/maple syrup and splash it over the grain mix. Mix it well and then smoosh everything a little with your hands so that the liquids really get into the mix and so that it clumps up a little.
- Spread everything on a cookie sheet and roast it for around 30 minutes at 125c/250f (use the dry setting if your oven has one), stirring at least three times, until your muesli is beautifully roasted and sounds dry when you stir it. Then turn off the oven and let the muesli cool in the oven (you can put a wooden spoon in the door so the oven is just slightly open).
- When the muesli is cool, mix in the cranberries. Store the muesli in an airtight container.