This weekend we had a small get-together for some friends to celebrate my husband’s birthday. It was a laid-back after work drink with some nibbles at our place.
I served up a simple (make-ahead) menu made up of yummy marinated olives, an aged cheese tart with a couple of fresh salads, and mini pumpkin cupcakes with cheese cream frosting and these little brownies for dessert.
This brownie is loosely based on the Baked brownie but I made it my own. Since I was serving these as mini brownies, I knew I could make them really rich, but they weren’t too heavy to stop us having more than one each! In short, they were a hit!
Here is my recipe:
THE BEST TRIPLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE EVER
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 11 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9×13-inch glass or light-colored baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together.
- Put the chocolate, butter and espresso powder in a sauce pan and melt together over low heat, stirring continuously. Turn off the heat and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove the bowl from the pan. The mixture should be room temperature.
- Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
- Add the walnuts, white chocolate and milk chocolate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into squares and serve.