I am on the hunt for the perfect table and chair set for Little A’s room. He is more and more ready to sit down properly with an activity for a longer period of time. Right now he is very into play dough, so he often comes to us and asks to be lifted onto his high chair in the dining room to get into some arts & crafts. I would like him to have a table and chair set in his room where he can play, do art, work on puzzles etc.
There are a ton of great options out there. From super-cheap and perfectly good IKEA furniture, to mini replicas of famous design pieces. Here are some of the options I like:
1. Peter’s Table & Chair by Hans Wegner. This is sort of the ultimate children’s table and chair combo. This table and chair were created in 1944 as a gift for a friend’s son, Peter. Both the table and chair can be dismantled and reassembled like a puzzle.
2. Sjuan Chair by Arne Jacobsen. This is a mini version of a real classic. It comes in several colors and suits any type of room.
5. IKEA. As always, IKEA has so many great, extremely affordable alternatives to more expensive design items. I love so many of IKEA’s kids’ products (I’ve raved about them here, here and here). We may very well end up getting a Kritter table and Sundvik chair (or the larger Sundvik table). I’ve also seen a lot of nursery pics using the lack side table as a children’s table.
6. Artek by Alvar Aalto. This is another design classic. Designed in 1935, it still holds up today.
5. Oliver Furniture. Danish Oliver Furniture has a whole range of absolutely lovely pieces for nurseries and children’s rooms. I love pretty much everything they make.
For more on Alec’s room, click here.