I haven’t bought breakfast cereal for years and years, but I also haven’t made a proper müsli before. I always just mix oats and other grains, chopped (raw) nuts and dried fruits and use that as muesli. Until now. This is a recipe adapted from Blueberry’s Food for Thought‘s Superfood Müsli.
HOMEMADE FLU FIGHTER MÜSLI
- 400ish grams grains, flakes, puffs (I used a base of whole rolled oats and quinoa puffs)
- 100 ml sunflower seeds
- 100 ml linseed
- 100 ml chopped almonds
- 100 ml chopped walnuts
- 10-15 dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tea spoons ground ginger
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 table spoon honey
- 50 ml water
- Heat oven to 150 degrees celsius.
- Mix all the grains/flakes/puffs and spread out on a cookie sheet. Roast in the oven for around 15 minutes (keep an eye so puffs don’t burn).
- Add seeds and nuts and roast for another 5-10.
- Turn off the oven. Take the grains etc out and add dried fruit, ginger, lemon zest, honey and water and mix well.
- Spread everything out on the cookie tray again, return to oven, and allow to dry out (with the oven off) for a few hours.
- Store in an airtight container.