Remember these Montessori-inspired favourite things (for four-year-old Caspar) by Kylie of How We Montessori? Well today I am so happy to share another list of favourite things by Kylie, this time compiled with her 11-month-old, Otis in mind.
I can’t tell you how much I enjoy How We Montessori. It is so inspiring to follow Kylie and her family and how they incorporate Montessori philosophy in their everyday family life. Whether you are specifically interested in Montessori-inspired parenting, or are just looking for new ideas and activities for small children, I highly recommend a visit (or two or three!) to How We Montessori.
Here are Kylie’s favourite things for 11-month-old Otis:
1. PULL-ALONG TOY. Otis’s toy of the moment is a pull-along duck from Brio. It’s fun to push and pull as it moves its wings and makes a cute noise. It’s a fun toy for the child to use once they start walking too.
2. LIFT-THE-FLAP AND OTHER INTERACTIVE BOOKS. Otis is at the age where he will no longer sit still to read a story. Lift-the-flap and other interactive books have become a staple. Our current favourite is Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell. Little books that can fit into his hands are popular too.
3. MONTESSORI MATERIALS. Otis has a few Montessori materials including this Progressive Ring Stacker from Beginning Montessori. Materials like this are great for hand eye coordination and for improving concentration.
4. WALKER WAGON. Most Montessori parents avoid using walkers with their children. However a walker wagon is a popular option as the child can use it independently and it does not put them into any un-natural positions. Otis loves pushing his cart around the house.
5. MONTESSORI BOOKS. Montessori books have informed me about the Montessori way of raising children. Understanding the Human Being by Silvana Quattrocchi Montanaro is a great book about children from birth to three. I reference this book during each sage of Otis’s development.