Mini Piccolini! Only the best for your little minis

Edible Finger Paint for Valentine’s Day

I have been wanting to do a first art project with Alec for awhile now and yesterday we finally did some finger painting. We wanted to make a Valentine for my husband, so it had to be a secret project while he was at work.

It was really important to me to use edible finger paints so I mixed my own out of greek yogurt and food coloring. It worked really well. The colors were bright and really saturated and looked so inviting. We just made a light and a dark pink as this was our first project. I wanted something more red but there is a lot of red food color in that dark pink already and I was having hot flashes about red paint on the walls, so I settled for pink.

We did our painting at the kitchen table with Alec in his high chair in a not-favourite outfit with a smock on top. It actually didn’t get too messy – much less so than I had feared. We used thick children’s craft paper which was definitely a necessity since the yogurt paint is quite heavy and wet.

At first Alec dipped his finger tips in the lighter color and immediately took a taste. He didn’t seem to love the taste so after the first taste we were able to concentrate on the painting instead. I showed him how to paint and guided him a little in the beginning. He was most happy (and I was least happy) when he discovered what happens when you smear your hands with a lot of paint and then clap your hands. Hence the little splatters on the finished product (last photo) and all over the walls, Alec’s face, the high chair etc… But clean up was easy – even the splatters on the walls wiped off easily. And we hope Dad is thrilled with his Valentine!

I would definitely recommend mixing edible finger paints from yogurt and food coloring for baby’s first art project. Very fun!

This entry was posted in Alec, Baby, DIY, Education & Learning, Holidays, Kiddos, Mum & Baby Activities, Valentine's Day and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

8 Comments

1. Amy
    Posted February 14, 2012 at 15:31 | Permalink

So does it smell when it dries?? We painted yesterday, Axley had 0 interest in it. Didn’t even eat it!

• Mina
      Posted February 14, 2012 at 16:21 | Permalink

Well, it didn’t exactly keep Alec busy for an hour either but I think you have to try most new things a few times before they catch on.
      No smell when dry. But the colours deepened and almost took on a shine!

2. Lollo
    Posted February 14, 2012 at 20:59 | Permalink

So much food coloring in some yogurts here I would not even need to add any color to it ; )
    Looks fun. And messy…

• Mina
      Posted February 14, 2012 at 21:39 | Permalink

It was fun. And very messy. But easier clean-up than I expected. I had used so much food colour that I was worried it would be hard to get off the walls, but it wiped right off with just a wet paper towel. You should try it!

3. Posted February 17, 2012 at 20:34 | Permalink

I love this idea! You should submit it as a gues post for Hellobee!

4. May
    Posted August 25, 2012 at 18:59 | Permalink

And how is it done??.

• Mina
      Posted August 25, 2012 at 20:06 | Permalink

Super easy: Just stir a few drops of food coloring into plain yogurt. We used thick greek yogurt and it became like thick paint when we stirred. Happy painting!

2 Trackbacks

1. By DIY Edible Finger Paint for Valentine’s Day on February 13, 2013 at 10:37

[...] today I want to show you last year’s project. We got our hands dirty and tried finger painting for the first time to make a painting for Daddy. [...]

2. By Easy DIY Salt Dough Valentines Necklaces on February 13, 2013 at 23:14

[...] year we did finger painting with edible paint. /* /* This entry was posted in Alec, Arts & Crafts, DIY, Holidays, Kiddos, [...]