Taryn Cox has a blog for “the timeless wife or elegant wife to be” inspired by women like Jacqueline Kennedy, Michelle Obama, Grace Kelly, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jenna lyons and Carolina Herrera. Visit Taryn Cox The Wife for inspiration in your quest to be an “astounding woman and amazing mother, who proudly makes time for her husband and children, loves to cook, has a passion for party planning, a fondness for etiquette, adores decorating and keeping a beautiful home and of course dressing the part.”
I asked Taryn to share her favourite things, and here is her list of 10 things every wife should have:
1. LA PERLA. Just like the age-old saying “A lamb in the kitchen and a tiger in the bedroom.” What better way to inspire a healthy and consistent sex life with your husband than with luxurious lingerie from La Perla. Every man can appreciate his wife coming to bed in a flirtatious silk night gown or something else a little more provocative.
2. WILLIAMS SONOMA – A wondrous playground for any wife who loves to cook in her kitchen. This charming store provides tools to make preparation easier, cooking classes for those who want to learn, and inspiration around every corner for those looking for creativity.
3. ELEMIS SPA – Every Wife who runs a house and takes care of her family is always in need of some “me” time. Elemis Day Spa in London is by far my favorite spa in the world. From the time you walk in the door and are given a complimentary smoothie (ask for the mango & passion fruit) and whisked off to your first treatment, you’ll be melting in relaxation. Be sure to try the “Float” Treatment and pick up a bottleof their “Frangipani Monoi Body Oil,” great for after baths or at home massages.
4. MRS. MEYERS. Every wife should have an eco friendly conscience when shopping for her household. Enter Mrs. Meyers… A collection of household products with essential oils from flowers and herbs that pack a real punch against daily dirt and grim. From dish soap to laundry detergent to window cleaners, Mrs. Meyers brings a powerful clean and a garden fresh scent to your home. All their products are earth friendly, bio degradable, non toxic and never tested on animals.
5. EMILY POST ETIQUETTE BOOK. Every wife should always carry herself like a true lady. Emily Post’s discourses on etiquette is said to be one of the most useful reference books published, next to a dictionary, a thesaurus and a world atlas. The new edition has discussions on perennially necessary topics, such as where to place a soupspoon when setting a formal table and whether one may wear white after Labor Day (the answer is yes). This integration of new material with old, showing respect and consideration for others while placing a premium on honesty, graciousness and deference. It also serves as a reminder of how individual choices may affect others and how easy it is to choose—words, wardrobes, gifts and actions—more wisely. $27.00 on Amazon
6. STATIONER. Every wife can benefit from a very creative and talented stationer. While I take my services to Jonathan Wright and Sugar Paper in Los Angeles, they are always there to help with last minute gifts and an abundance of greeting cards for every occasion. Your stationer can also aid you in the designing all of life’s celebrations from wedding invitations to birth announcements to personal stationary for thank you notes.
8. DR. LANCER. Every wife needs a fantastic dermatologist in her life whether it be for a facial or for a quick little nip and tuck here and there. Dr. Lancer offers state-of-the-art care in aesthetic, cosmetic, medical and surgical dermatology. He also has grown his practice into a trusted and recognized brand of his own exclusive products to help people with every skin type achieve a radiant glow and confidence in their own skin. His clients fly from all over the world to receive his unique, cutting-edge treatments.
9. BAR METHOD. Looking for an effective workout… Well look no further. The Bar Method™ workout creates a uniquely lean, firm, sculpted body by combining the muscle-shaping principles of isometrics, the body-elongating practice of dance conditioning, the science of physical therapy and the intense pace of interval training into a powerful exercise format that quickly and safely reshapes and elongates muscles. It might be a little pricey, but it’s worth every penny spent!
10. iPOD TOUCH/iPHONE. I cannot even tell you how many uses this tiny little device serves up. I love music and believe every house needs a good playlist, whether you’re cooking, exercising, cleaning and or entertaining. Also iPod’s are great for taking your music from your home to car. The Instagram App is great for taking unique and fun photos of family and friends. Not to mention the other thousands of helpful apps, especially the ones that are great for entertaining small children in restaurants or airplanes.